Saturday 19 August 2017

Of stepping-stones and obstacles

The block of granite which was an obstacle in the pathway of the weak, became a stepping-stone in the pathway of the strong. Thomas Carlyle
James and I have been riding Chev on Sundays for a couple of weeks, and I'm both enthused and perturbed - above all, enthused about rediscovering a passion for something that gives me true joy.

To a lesser extent, I'm also somewhat perturbed by two things - firstly, my lack of saddle fitness despite being above averagely fit for so many other activities, and having been a satisfyingly competent rider back in the day.

This particular niggling perturbation is readily fixed - I'm going to organise myself a weekly riding lesson, at least until December, when my current job runs out. Funds are distinctly tight in my personal budget but I can afford that, and it will give me some horse time and a chance to re-hone my riding skills. Plus it will help me get through the final 3 months of my detested office job!

The second, rather surprising, challenge to my hopes and wishes of bringing horses back into my life in some shape or form, is my partner James' less-than-cool reaction to them.

My partner of three-and-a-half years, James shares my passion for many an indoor and outdoor adventure. Over the years, our time together has been jammed packed with cycling, rock climbing, bush-walking, playing music together, doing yoga, singing, dancing, swimming in the river, laughing, crying, much joking around, drinking merrily, playing chasies, and generally running amuck together quite fabulously. A partnership made in heaven by many counts.

And yet ... no sooner do I organise a weekly riding lesson for myself than James declares, "If you get back into horses, we're not going to see much of each other because I'm not getting back into them. It's too expensive and too complicated."

I'm sure he's right. He would know, having enjoyed the highs and lows of horse ownership himself for a good 20 years. I can see his point - we both live on a tight budget, and our lives are already very full. But sorry ... for better or worse, this time I'm not stopping unless it's on my terms!!

I will, however, tread carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment